Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Power and Resistance in the Classroom

     As an aspiring teacher, I was very interested in the concept of Foucault's exercise of power and resistance. The idea makes sense in regards to the natural resistance that arises from a figure of power. I began to think about my educational observation experience this semester and the students I was assisting. When analyzing behaviors and tendencies, I can conclude that there are times of resistance among the students. This idea of power and resistance also made me think of the book/ movie Freedom Writers. In the beginning, the pure nature of having authority was foreign to the students and created strong resistance. Because people have different perspectives and a sense of uniqueness, I agree with Foucault's belief that with an exercise of power there will often be resistance.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment